Python Plans from ActiveState

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Fri May 12 05:41:09 EDT 2000

"Don Tuttle" <tuttledon at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:RqJS4.1039$qf.6315 at typhoon.southeast.rr.com...

> ??? Will this just be the standard Python distribution packaged by
> Installshield or the like, or will Activestate be adding new Python code
or
> changing the existing Python code in ActivePython?

It will be the core Python, plus some "key extensions" for the platform.
Eg, for Windows, it will include the win32all series.

There will also be some additional work at some stage - eg, already
identified is that instead of including the (quite fine, but requiring a
3rd party DLL) "SIO" module for serial IO, we are likely to upgrade the
win32file support to provide the same functionality. [For obvious reasons,
Im more up on the APy for Windows plans :-]

Obviously, however, we are all very busy.  We are also working on
longer-term projects that although wont be visible for some time, chew
alot of our time right now.  And if you havent already gathered from every
AS related post, we are looking to hire good Python people to help with
all this...

Mark
MarkH at ActiveState.com - but if you think I speak for them, you dont know
Dick!