Python Plans from ActiveState

Al Christians achrist at easystreet.com
Fri May 12 16:14:18 EDT 2000

Mark Hammond wrote:

> It will be the core Python, plus some "key extensions" for the platform.
> Eg, for Windows, it will include the win32all series.
>
> There will also be some additional work at some stage - eg, already
> identified is that instead of including the (quite fine, but
> requiring a 3rd party DLL) "SIO" module for serial IO, we are likely
> to upgrade the win32file support to provide the same functionality.  > [For obvious reasons, Im more up on the APy for Windows plans :-]

I don't know if this is yet true or will be with version 1.6: it
would seem to be advantageous to have an installer that installs
a binary version into the same directory structure that the source
version uses.  I remember getting stuck somewhere when I was using
the binary version but downloaded some package that wanted to work
with a  source distribution.  This was not as easy as most everything
else ought to be.  Real nice would be to be able to download the
source version, then plaster the binary version over it, so that
I know I've got the same good executables as the binary version,
but I also have whatever source the packages that work with the
source distribution expect.  How about a source+binary Windows version?

Al