Proposal: Weekly FAQ pointer (was Re: Newbie: Is there a faq for this newsgroup?)

Jean-Claude Wippler jcw at equi4.com
Mon Mar 13 15:46:53 EST 2000

Aahz Maruch wrote:

> In article <CC59868A0A76D311B1F50090277B321C1F31C2 at VRTMAIL>,
> Mike Fletcher  <mfletch at tpresence.com> wrote:
> >
> >Writeup is pretty simple...
>
> While that's works, it's not exactly what I'm aiming at (we should
> have a pointer to the main page, downloads, and tutorials, at the very
> least).  I want to get the commitment to posting the thing (preferably
> from @python.org) before arguing about the exact wording, though.
> --
>                       --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Which is sort of exactly the point of Python-URL! ...

Why not tempt Fredrik, the current editor, to keep the Python-URL! list
of pointers short, say within 10 items, then redo the second section to
exactly what you have in mind, and change the title from:

	Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Mar 13)
	Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and FAQ (Mar 13)

Wouldn't that serve everyone?

I fear that weekly this and weekly that is not going to help those who
briefly visit the newsgroup in search of more info... and it seems that
it would be easier to sustain a weekly activity if people join forces.

Wait, let me rephrase this: Python-URL! is intended to serve a purpose.
If there are better ways to do so, please consider stepping forward and
making changes to it.  No one is "in control" of it, Cameron Laird and I
merely participate to try to maintain a form of long-term continuity.

The second section of Python-URL! sure could benefit from an overhaul,
if you ask me...

-- Jean-Claude