Python/Zope

Patrick Phalen python-list at teleo.net
Thu Mar 9 11:25:53 EST 2000

[Steve Holden, on Thu, 09 Mar 2000]

:: Don't suppose Debian's available for ancient SPARC systems, is it?  I
:: use RedHat 5.1 for simplicity, but I hate the way the RPMs tie you up in a
:: maze of twisty little dependencies all the same!
::
:: I dislike having to retain 1.5.1 after building 1.5.2 just because Red
:: Hat have hogtied me this way.  But Red Hat uses Python for some features
:: so I can't just deinstall the 1.5.1 RPMs, or even update them.  It's a
:: pain: proprietary Linux!

RH 6.1 comes with Python 1.5.2, but if you don't care to upgrade the OS,
just force the 1.5.1 uninstall and install 1.5.2 rpms. I used to do that
all the time in the RH 5.2 era. The RH "features" you speak of can be
lived without painlessly.

OTOH, 6.1 gives you the ultra cool new up2date Update Agent (written in
Python) -- worth the upgrade price by itself,  for its convenience.