Python/Zope

Steve Holden sholden at bellatlantic.net
Thu Mar 9 10:51:18 EST 2000

Thomas Weholt wrote:

> [Stefan Otten couldn't resolve unsatisfied dependencies in Yast2/Suse 6.3]
>
> Hi,
>
> Try installing another Python-package manually, look at www.python.org. I`ve
> had similar problems with Suse and the included Python-packages too. It`s
> probably missing zlib libraries etc. also.
>
> Worst case scenario: build Python from source. Scary hu? Switch to a
> debian-based distribution of Linux and those problems are gone.

Don't suppose Debian's available for ancient SPARC systems, is it?  I
use RedHat 5.1 for simplicity, but I hate the way the RPMs tie you up in a
maze of twisty little dependencies all the same!

I dislike having to retain 1.5.1 after building 1.5.2 just because Red
Hat have hogtied me this way.  But Red Hat uses Python for some features
so I can't just deinstall the 1.5.1 RPMs, or even update them.  It's a
pain: proprietary Linux!

> PS! By the way, this might not be directly python-related, more
> Linux-specific, and you might get alot of flak for asking questions like this
> ie. not directly on topic, or <bash-perl>perhaps that only applies to
> comp.lang.perl , where the really angry people live </bash-perl>.
>
> Thomas

Similar questions have in the past been answered with great courtesy here.

regards
 Steve
--
"If computing ever stops being fun, I'll stop doing it"