more python evangelising...

Grant Edwards ge at nowhere.none
Wed Jun 28 10:53:03 EDT 2000

In article <3959376D.DA8DC41F at estinc.com>, Eric Lee Green wrote:
>Tom wrote:
>> "Grant Edwards" <ge at nowhere.none> wrote in message
>> news:Uj865.1905$iN5.408850 at ptah.visi.com...
>> > Since MS is a publicly held company, the people who run it
>> > have a fiduciary responsibility to the stockholders.  They are
>> > obligated to make them as much money as they can (legally, that
>> > is).  If they didn't, they could be held liable in court.
>>
>> This is an important point.  This is the heart of capitalism.
>
>Gosh, I thought the heart of capitalism was making a better
>product at a better price. Maybe I ought to re-think that.

The heart of capitalism is to make the minimum that you can
sell and charge what the market will bear.

>Let's see:
>
>Make a shoddy product and market the hell out of it while
>charging double the price. That's the heart of capitalism,
>yeah.

If it works, and it makes more money than the "better product"
approach, (and you know this) then you have a fiduciary
responsibility to the owners of the company (John and Jane
Doe's 401K plan) to do that.

If customers didn't put up with such crappy products, then the
people running MS would be obligated to do make better ones.
Customers seem to love the crap MS dishes out, so they keep
dishing it out.

> it works for Microsoft.

So far.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Gee, I feel kind of
                                  at               LIGHT in the head now,