more python evangelising...

Randall Hopper aa8vb at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 28 08:10:28 EDT 2000

Grant Edwards:
 |...then they could take lower profit, higher "social good" directions.
 |But that's not what stockholders want.  Stockholders (at least in the US)
 |only care about short-term profits.

Not quite.  Be careful about including everyone in the US with your
statements.  Despite the media rage, serious folks invest in companies for
the long term.  CAGR is a big deal on the minds of many, and you don't get
that without compounding.  Of course, selling short-term kills this in a
taxable account.

And you might have heard of "ethical investing".  For now, I won't invest
in MSFT no matter what CAGR I can get from them.  If MSFT changes their
arrogant business attitude shafting customers and dealing out frequent
misinformation just to confuse consumers, then I might.

 |If there was a large enough group interested in investing in
 |socially-conscious software companies perhaps things would be
 |different.  Perhaps.

Well, consider.  MSFT was great when they could strong-arm the industry.
Not doing so good anymore; so maybe there is a correlation between
maximizing profits and treating your customers and suppliers well...

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb at yahoo.com