Python Productivity over C++

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Tue Jun 13 09:51:31 EDT 2000

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 02:15:29AM -0700, Ken Seehof wrote:

> Memory leak tools - Python doesn't need them (except for circular refs which
> aren't that tough anyway).  Python wins here.  The next major release of
> python will probably have true garbage collection, which will remove orphan
> circular refs.

That's a bit extreme. The next major release would be Python 2, aka Py3k,
which has been repeatedly stated as being 'far away and undecided' at the
least ;) The next minor release, 1.6, *might* contain some form of garbage
collection to remove circular refs, but it certainly does not throw out
refcounting in favor of GC. The garbage-collection bit might even be a
compile-time option, off by default.

> Profilers - Never looked, so I don't know if python has any good ones.  If
> I'm concerned with saving a few milliseconds, I code an extension.

The Python profiler is pretty good, but it doesn't profile beyond the python
level (it can't, it's written in Python ;) so you have to combine the python
profiler and a C-level profiler to get proper stats on your extensions.
But, I have to admit, I haven't used it much either, myself.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>