SV: Python Productivity over C++

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Thu Jun 15 08:16:00 EDT 2000

Thomas Thiele <thiele at muc.das-werk.de> wrote:
> Aahz Maruch wrote:
[you only need the right amount of interface and it works]

> But there is no mechanism to ensure that the behaviour of your
> memfileobjectsis like a fileobject.
[snip]

i.e., interfaces in Python are implicit and not explicit. And in addition,
there's no compile-time static checking of interfaces.

These are seperate issues. There's been some work on doing interfaces
in Python. Check the types-SIG archives for possible futures here,
linked to static typing. And there's Jim Fulton's proposal (also the result
of discussions), with some implementation, over here:

http://www.zope.org/Members/jim/PythonInterfaces/Summary

There's a chance a system like this will be adopted in Zope eventually.
Zope is one of the biggest Python code-bases out there, and may have the
most developers as well. It's really starting to show the need for some
explicit interface system. I'm not talking about static checking here;
though run-time checking would be a vast improvement already. With
explicit interfaces, the code would be much more self-documenting than
it is now.

Regards,

Martijn