Python Productivity over C++

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 9 08:37:35 EDT 2000

stevemul at ozemail.com.au (Steve Mullarkey) writes:

> I don't want to start a flame war but, given the above, I just can't see
> where the productivity increase is generated. I am genuinely interested
> to ask "C++" programmers :-
>
> 1. What productivity increase do you achieve ?
>
> 2. How long did you use Python before you achieved increased
> productivity ?

One of my habits is answering questions on comp.lang.python with
quotes from the Python Quotation file at

http://starship.python.net/crew/amk/quotations/python-quotes.html

The one for this occasion is:

  I never got beyond starting the data-structures in C++, I never got
  beyond seeing how it would work in Scheme. I finished it in one
  Python-filled afternoon, and discovered the idea sucked big time. I
  was glad I did it in Python, because it only cost me one afternoon
  to discover the idea sucks.             --  Moshe Zadka, 13 May 2000

Cheers,
M.

--
3. Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon.