Python Productivity over C++

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Fri Jun 9 10:29:11 EDT 2000

Michael Hudson <mwh21 at cam.ac.uk> quoted Moshe Zadka:
> I  was glad I did it in Python, because it only cost me one afternoon
>   to discover the idea sucks.

Indeed.  This is a point missed by much of the flamage on the
linux-kernel list about the CML2 kernel configuration system.  If CML2
turns out to be a bad idea, or can't be made to work correctly, I'm
sure that ESR would much rather throw out 1000 lines of Python code
than 10,000 of C code that had to be carefully debugged to get it to
run enough to discover that it's a bad idea.  If CML2 does turn out to
be a good idea, it can be recoded into C if the Python dependency
really is unacceptable.

I'm willing to accept that someone might just have all the answers. However,
I'm pretty sure he won't be posting them on a GeoCities page.
  -- From mathew's October 1999 web.scan