Mark Hammond & David Ascher, ActiveState, Python world domination

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Fri Feb 4 18:26:01 EST 2000

"David Ascher" <dascher at mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:002701bf6e7c$dbb7d040$c355cfc0 at ski.org...

[David's well thought out announcement snipped]

> What does this mean for Mark Hammond, PyWin32, Pythonwin, etc?
Well, I
> won't presume to speak for Mark, so I'll just let him write his own
thoughts
> on the topic.

Damn.  :-)

I forsee no significant change in the win32 extensions.  There is a
good chance that the win32all extensions will end up being released
via the www.ActiveState.com page, but there will be no change in the
license.  What may end up happening is that I have slightly less time
to work on this stuff as other work gets in the way - but this is
nothing new.

For the rest of this year, I will almost certainly be working on some
very interesting Python related work.  Unfortunately, I am not free to
discuss the nature of this work (this restriction is _not_ being
imposed by Active State), but suffice it to say that Python
programmers on Windows should be quite excited once this work is
announced - details should be available around May of this year.

As with David, I am quite excited by this opportunity.  I see it as
being an excellent move for Python.  Over the last 5 years I have
earnt good money by playing with these Python extensions, and thus had
no pressing need to take on full-time employment.  I see this Active
State opportunity as being less of a win for me personally, and more
of a win for Python.  Having Active State behind some of this work
means that I can focus more on the important issues, and less on the
bull-sh*t that comes with working with these extensions - the Active
State infrastructure is quite an appeal to me.  The other huge appeal
is the opportunity to work with David, and hopefully some other smart
Pythonistas who will be lured into our little kitchen :-)

I am very pleased to hear nothing but support for this move - thanks
everyone for your responses!

Mark.