Built-in exception class not found

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 3 14:47:34 EST 2000

Thomas Happ I <tjh8300 at cs.rit.edu> writes:

> Hello,
> 	I am attempting to install Python on our systems here at RIT.
> We're running Solaris 7.  It seems to work in most respects, but whenever
> any program is run, it displays the following message:
>
> Built-in exception class not found: EnvironmentError.  Library mismatch?
> [Warning!  Falling back to string-based exceptions
> [Python 1.5.2 (#4, Jan 14 2000, 09:18:57)  [GCC 2.95.1 19990816 (release)]
> [on sunos5
> [Copyright 1991-1995 Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam
>
> 	I looked through the Setup file in the Modules part of the
> installation and couldn't find any modules related to this.  I also
> checked the FAQ and the Bug report but couldn't find any similar problems.
> Has anyone encountered this or a similar problem before?  (As I am not a
> python user myself, please respond to me via e-mail -- I don't normally
> read this newsgroup:)
> 	Thanks,
> 	Tom

Hmm. Do you have a python 1.5.1 (or earlier) installation knocking
about somewhere?  Looking at cvs diffs, it seems that EnvironmentError
appeared between 1.5.1 and 1.5a2, so if a python 1.5.1 library is
being found before the 1.5.2 one, you'd get this error. I'd suggest
either nuking the 1.5.1 install (if this is an option) or mucking with
$PYTHONPATH.

HTH,
Michael