A question from a total newbie

Timothy Grant tjg at avalongroup.net
Thu Feb 24 15:29:45 EST 2000

Lisa wrote:

> Hi ! I am a total newbie to python, although I had a little programming
> experience in Pascal, Fortran and PL/1.

Welcome to the land of Python.

> I am thinking of starting on DOS level, without any cumbersome
> layers on windows. Do you recommend that?

> If so, where can I get python that runs on DOS?

I would probably start with python and the win32 extensions, both are
available at www.python.org

> And what else do I need? What is TCK or whatever it is I saw on
> www.python.org? I am not sure about those things, I hope if someone here
> can give me a pointer or two.

The Windows version of Python ships with Tk.

> Books, which are the books for newbies that you recommend? There are so
> many books out there I do not know which ones are good.

Learning Python by Mark Lutz and David Ascher is a really good book, so
is the tutorial that is included with the distribution, in fact, all of
Python's online docs are significantly better than average.

--
Stand Fast,
    tjg.

Chief Technology Officer              tjg at exceptionalminds.com
Red Hat Certified Engineer            www.exceptionalminds.com
Avalon Technology Group, Inc.                   (503) 246-3630