OT - ][ (was Re: Killer Apps???)

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Thu Feb 24 03:12:38 EST 2000

François Pinard <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> "Garrett G. Hodgson" <garry at sage.att.com> writes:

>> a long time ago, the game "star raiders" was the killer app for atari
>> computers.

> Apple ][ surely had Choplifter!  Still a mystery to me how they could
> engineer such a program on a 6502, with sound, real-time, and everything.
> Amazing...

> By the way, to stay in the mood, what would be best between Tkinter,
> pygtk or wxPython, for reimplementing Choplifter in Python? :-) :-)

PyQt obviously! It's not difficult to wrap the QwSpriteField class
(although it isn't done yet), and then it's easy to write games with,
er, sprites. Qt 2.1 has a nice canvas. What I wonder about is how
you'd go about getting decent sound from a Python application.

> And more seriously, is that game available in some form, nowadays, on
> Linux say?

For the full retro experience, try finding an emulator.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org