breaking the ; habit

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Sun Feb 13 18:30:17 EST 2000

In article <zREp4.6213$al3.82032 at newsc.telia.net>,
Fredrik Lundh <effbot at telia.com> wrote:
>Aahz Maruch <aahz at netcom.com> wrote:
>>
>> Oh, I think I see: the argument is that "foo (" instead of "foo("
>> makes "foo" look like a statement?  I don't buy it.
>>
>> In any event, I have no rules other than whatever makes the code easiest
>> to read.
>
>same here.  my eyes just hate those extraneous spaces ;-)

Fair enough.  Actually, I do have a rule, although it's a bit fuzzy: put
a space around all punctuation unless the punctuation and the
identifiers around it can be easily perceived as a single unit.

>(didn't you just mention Smalltalk? maybe this differs between C
>programmers and Smalltalk/Lisp programmers? after all, adding spaces
>between an identifier and the following argument list can actually
>break a C program...)

Actually, I think of myself at root as a Pascal programmer (despite
learning BASIC first), which probably explains much of my extreme
comfort with Python.  Note that AFAIK, the C idiom you refer to only
happens with macros in #define; I rarely use those.  I've never done any
significant LISP/Smalltalk programming.
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6