Python for prototyping of the user interface

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 28 17:58:49 EST 2000

"Volkmar Busch" <vbusch at gmx.de> wrote in message
news:20001228.17165633 at mis.configured.host...
"""
I took my first steps in using Python, and I really like the language. I
read a lot about using Python for prototyping. As a basis for discussion
with our users we use GUI prototypes. Building complex user interfaces in
Python to me seems quite complicated, because

- I am missing a Gui builder
"""

Try Boa Constructor, on sourceforge.  Early, but promising.  I think
there are good commercial products, too.

Or, depending on the GUI's you need, dynamic HTML can be good:
there are umpteen HTML generators and editors, and, at least on
Windows platforms, with active-scripting, 'behaviors', 'HTML Applications',
etc, adding Python code to script the HTML is quite easy.

"""
- I am missing controls like notebooks and tables
"""
wxPython, the cross-platform toolkit Boa Constructor uses, has
them I think.  HTML surely does, of course.

Alex