Python for prototyping of the user interface

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 29 15:11:16 EST 2000

Volkmar Busch <vbusch at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,

> I took my first steps in using Python, and I really like the language. I
> read a lot about using Python for prototyping. As a basis for discussion
> with our users we use GUI prototypes. Building complex user interfaces in
> Python to me seems quite complicated, because

> - I am missing a Gui builder
> - I am missing controls like notebooks and tables

> So I'd like to asked the experienced Python users how they solve this
> problem.

I use PyQt - Qt comes with Qt Designer, a great gui designer that
generates xml descriptions of your design; this then is translated
by pyuic to python. I subclass the result (which means I can
regenerate whenever I want), and use it. Quite simple, really. And
all modern conveniences are available in PyQt, from icon boxes to
Unicode support. And to my surprise, the large PyQt application I've
just finished works without changes on Windows...

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org