Python for prototyping of the user interface

D-Man dsh8290 at rit.edu
Thu Dec 28 17:24:01 EST 2000

Python doesn't have it's own built-in gui toolkit.  The interpreter
often comes with tkinter, a binding for tk with it.  There are also
bindings for GTK, Qt, MFC, wxWindows and probably others too.

I happen to like GTK.  If you want to use GTK, there is a gui builder
called glade.  (check www.gtk.org for a link)  In addition, there is a
library (with python bindings) called libglade.  libglade reads the
saved project format from glade and builds the gui at runtime.  Gtk
does have notebooks and tables.  In fact, the table is one of the
central widgets in GTK.

wxWindows is another rather intriguing toolkit.  It is essentially an
interface specification that is then implemented in terms of the
native toolkit.  For example, in Unix systems there is wxGTK and
wxMotif while for MS Windows there is wxMFC.  The wx widgets look
like GTK or MFC since underneath the interface is a GTK or MFC widget.
wxWindows also has a gui builder, but it's not free.  (I don't think
it is very expensive though).

This is just a brainstorm but if you use Jython,
you may have access to Java's SWING toolkit.

If you provide more information such as which platform and which
toolkit you are/want to use we can give you more information.

HTH,
-D