Moving from Perl to Python

Kemp Randy-W18971 Randy.L.Kemp at motorola.com
Fri Dec 15 09:23:56 EST 2000

Many times, we get into camps (like Perl or Python), and refuse to cross over to the other side.  I started with Perl (and liked it), but later picked up Python (and liked it).  I work in an environment with Solaris Sun machines, and Perl comes pre-bundled with the operating system.  It would take an act of congress to get the Unix Administrators to load Python, but I have it loaded on my Windows machine.  It really broils down to a matter of pragmatic utility.  If I am presented with a programming program, I will turn to the language (Perl, Python, etc.) that allows me to quickly and easily solve the problem.