bsddb module

Guido van Rossum guido at cnri.reston.va.us
Thu Sep 16 00:10:54 EDT 1999

"Adrian Eyre" <a.eyre at optichrome.com> writes:

> I was trying to build the Python source the other day, and noticed
> that the bsddb module needed some other source in order to
> build. When I finally located the source, I found that the licensing
> agreement was such that it could not be used commercially. Does this
> imply that the Python 1.5 installer's version of bsddb.pyd also
> falls under the same agreement, or is it built with a different
> version of the source code?

> The version I used was at: http://www.sleepycat.com/db/

You are probably confused by the BSDDB versioning.  The bsddb module
that comes with the Python source code requires Berkeley-db *version
1.85*.  I don't know where to find that, but I expect that there are
plenty of ftp archives that have it (do a websearch).  Anyway, the
copy of bsddb 1.85 that I have has a plain vanilla BSD style license
allowing commercial use etc. -- so I'm confident that the installer is
fine.

The sleepycat website has Berkeley DB 2.x, which is indeed a
commercial product.