Using Python for Modular Artificial Intelligence code

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Sun May 2 10:42:11 EDT 1999

Tim Auld defends his decision to do it in C++:

> ... The multi-threading with socket
> communication would have been too slow.

Snicker. You can saturate a LAN connection from a Python socket.
Granted, if you rewrite in C, you'll use a bit less CPU.

Unlike say Java, most of this stuff is a very thin wrapper around the
C library facility. If you know the C API, the Python API will be a
no-brainer.

I can certainly respect your argument about learning curves, but this
is exactly the type of thing I'd prototype in Python first, before
translating to C++. And maybe skip the last step, if I could...

- Gordon