Using Python for Modular Artificial Intelligence code

Ilja Heitlager news at helen.demon.nl
Sun May 2 16:31:49 EDT 1999

Tim Auld wrote:

>The reason I'm using C++ is mainly because I'm familiar
>with it, and because of speed.  I'm aware that Python is relatively slow,
so
>I would rather use C++ as a base from the start, and save myself the
trouble
>of rewriting it all later.

I did some work in C and later I had to switch over to Java. What a
relief!!!!!!
Increased productivity, no more pointers!!!!!! Then I discovered Python,
which I love even better. Now I can test interactively. Full COM support
(interactive!!!!)
Short code-debug cycles (no compilation). This is what you need to develop.

Don't go blind on speed and don;t be afraid to code things twice! You read
more and more nowadays about the two-language approach. A scripting language
like Python and a system language like C++ or Java (I know, it sounds a bit
odd).
You can learn Python in a few days and it will really improve your
productivity

Ilja Heitlager