Using Python for Modular Artificial Intelligence code

Tim Auld astro at nospam.tne.net.au
Sun May 2 01:34:28 EDT 1999

>If you write everything in Python, you will wind up with a program which
>works far sooner than if you'd written it in C++ (unless you're _REALLY_
>good at C++).  You can then pull out the parts which need speedup into C
>or C++.
>
>It won't be that much trouble to rewrite -- it seldom is, really.  The
>hard part is getting the design, not writing the program.  Python offers
>the ideal design language, because it's executable.

You may be right - Python looks very flexible and powerful, but I'd still
like to stick with something I'm familiar with and I know speed won't be a
problem.  I'm using a few different APIs: OpenGL, Winsock, DirectX - so
using Python would require learning how to access each of these, which
doesn't sound tempting considering I know how to do it in C/C++ right now.
I also figured out a better way to have modular AI code: loading DLLs
containing the code controlling the units.  The multi-threading with socket
communication would have been too slow.

You guys really love Python don't ya ;)  must be good!

Regards,
Tim