Defining VCL-like framework for Python

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Tue May 25 23:17:55 EDT 1999

Graham Matthews wrote:

> > So I must be missing something. How does defining all these components
> > differ from defining implementations of interfaces (the interfaces tell
> > you the standard properties).
> Alexander Staubo (earlybird at mop.no) wrote:
> : typically designate a set of properties (attributes) as being
> : "published".
>
> This sounds a whole lot like defining an interface for a class. The
> interface defines what the class exports, and all else is private.

Delphi actually supports _four_ access modifiers:

  private    only visible within module at runtime (all classes within a
             module are "friends", in C++-speak)
  protected  visible also to my children at runtime
  public     world visible at runtime
  published  world visible at runtime, manipulable by the IDE at design time

Only published properties (and events, which are function-pointer properties)
are visible at design time, and are displayed in Delphi's "Object Inspector"
(which looks a lot like the propety sheets in every other IDE you've seen
lately).  Published properties which are backed by accessors/modifiers actually
get those methods run at design time, which is way cool for a statically-typed,
compiled language (of course, the component has to be compiled/linked into the
IDE to be usable at design time).