Python suitable for a game engine?

Alan Daniels Alan.Daniels at p98.f112.n480.z2.fidonet.org
Sat Jul 3 00:49:51 EDT 1999

From: daniels at mindspring.com (Alan Daniels)

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999 10:39:35 +0100, the infinitely wise Nick
(nick at NOSPAMvideosystem.co.uk) spoke forth to us, saying...

[snip...]
>The language doesn't necessarily need to support it. You could implement the
>threaded system yourself in Lua, you then have more control over what goes
>on. Proper threads are relatively slow in Windoze (I believe) and would be a
>nightmare to debug? If Lua wasn't fast enough you could write a scheduler
>with priority assessment in C/C++ and attached Lua script callbacks to this.
>Personally I wouldn't dream of useing proper threads for game logic/AI I
>would write a basic scheduler, it wouldn't be difficult. Grim Fandango uses
>Lua as its scripting language and I think they did something along these
>lines. I think Balders Gate is another game that is rumoured to use it.

The only time I would consider adding threads is well after I had
everything else working (and I mean EVERYTHING), and wanted to
experiment around with it a bit. So far, my current plan is to use a
round-robin approach to keep the script processing from varying the
framerate too much, even if that means I can't use the interpreter but
have to translate the bytecodes myself.

The information on Lua is very useful, by the way. Thanks for this.

--
Alan Daniels
daniels at mindspring.com
daniels at cc.gatech.edu