Python suitable for a game engine?

Christian Tismer Christian.Tismer at p98.f112.n480.z2.fidonet.org
Sat Jul 3 19:06:24 EDT 1999

From: Christian Tismer <tismer at appliedbiometrics.com>

Nick wrote:

> The language doesn't necessarily need to support it. You could implement the
> threaded system yourself in Lua, you then have more control over what goes
> on. Proper threads are relatively slow in Windoze (I believe) and would be a
> nightmare to debug? If Lua wasn't fast enough you could write a scheduler
> with priority assessment in C/C++ and attached Lua script callbacks to this.

I'm not discussing what I can write in C/C++ but what LUA has.

> Personally I wouldn't dream of useing proper threads for game logic/AI I
> would write a basic scheduler, it wouldn't be difficult. Grim Fandango uses
> Lua as its scripting language and I think they did something along these
> lines. I think Balders Gate is another game that is rumoured to use it.

Which doesn't help me very much. I'd like to figure out
why I should use LUA instead of Python. Please give me real facts.

At the moment, I see no reason to switch, but a big
advantage using Python, since I can extend it extremely.
Please let me understand your point.

Still unsatisfied -ly y'rs - chris

Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net
10553 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net