Python Performance

Robert Kern kernr at mail.ncifcrf.gov
Tue Jul 27 19:16:04 EDT 1999

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:45:44 -0500 (CDT), Skip Montanaro
<skip at mojam.com> wrote:

>    Robert> Just to address this for-instance, you can compile Python
>    Robert> extensions for Win32 systems using the free egcs compiler.  See
>    Robert> <URL: http://starship.python.net/crew/kernr/mingw32/Notes.html>
>    Robert> for more information.
>
>That's all well and good.  This is why I mentioned "technical depth".
>Someone who's done very little programming, discovers Python and is merrily
>whacking things into shape, then finds they need to recode a hotspot or two
>in C is quite probably not going to have the mental model built up in their
>brain to allow them to connect egcs, Python, extension modules, compilation,
>dll building, (yadda, yadda, yadda) into a coherent whole.  It's also
>unlikely they'll find Robert's excellent notes about egcs & Python on
>Windows.

Oh yes, I agree on all points.  To be honest, I just wanted to
shamelessly plug the system.  :-)

[snip good points]

>Q-E-D-ly y'rs
>
>Skip Montanaro	| http://www.mojam.com/
>skip at mojam.com  | http://www.musi-cal.com/~skip/
>847-475-3758

excellent?-<snort>-ly y'rs

Robert Kern           |
----------------------|"In the fields of Hell where the grass grows high
This space            | Are the graves of dreams allowed to die."
intentionally         |           - Richard Harter
left blank.           |