Python Performance

Markus Stenberg mstenber at cc.Helsinki.FI
Tue Jul 27 23:41:52 EDT 1999

Skip Montanaro <skip at mojam.com> writes:
>     Eugene> Skip Montanaro writes:
>     >> True.  I was thinking about the situation I'm in (small developer, a few
>     >> machines to maintain/upgrade/replace).
>
>     Eugene> What's wrong with recoding the hot spots in C? Python is
>     primarily a rapid prototyping/scripting/glue language, it was never
>     meant as a sole implementation language for applications.
> There's nothing wrong with recoding hot spots in C.  Many people do it all
> the time.  Practically speaking, however, many Python users don't have the
> technical depth or other resource (VC++, for instance) to write chunks of
> their applications in C or C++.

That isn't (IMNSHO) the greatest problem; for me, main problem lies in the
fact that when you bring C/C++ to bear, you lose most of the 'totally
portable'-characteristics of normal Python code and get to test same
program on multiple platforms to see if the C/C++ extensions work as
advertised there, etc. Generally speaking, when developing Windows-Python
programs, you can do development mostly on UNIX and *poof*, it works on
Windows.

On the other hand, try porting say, C/C++-based socket programs from UNIX
to Windows.. *brr*

> Skip Montanaro	| http://www.mojam.com/
> skip at mojam.com  | http://www.musi-cal.com/~skip/
> 847-475-3758

-Markus Stenberg

--
	Linux!  Guerrilla UNIX Development     Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus.