Python Performance

Nick Trout nick at #spam_me_not#videosystem.co.uk
Thu Jul 29 06:25:30 EDT 1999

>| Are there any pieces of test code anywhere which could be used as a
>| good test for Pythons speed (encompasing all of its language
>| features) so that if anyone tinkered with the bytecode execution
>| unit they could measure the speed improvement. It would be useful if
>| it also tested correctness to ensure no mistakes?!
>
>My xmlproc XML parser might be a good test of string processing at
>least, and I have regression and speed testing harnesses for it.
>However, it's already been optimized by hand, so it may not be the
>best choice.

Thanks Lars, I was thinking I wouldn't mind having a tinker with the source
when I get some time :-). In Python/Libs/test there are a load of system
test fns to test correctness. Ideally I assume test of Pythons speed would
some algorithmic test involving all of its language features? Your parser
may be a start. Where can it be found?