Python 1.5.2 + Linux 2.0.36 == Bad Combo?

Klaus Alexander Seistrup kas at maps.magnetic-ink.dk
Fri Jul 16 10:17:34 EDT 1999

Thomas Bryan <tbryan at arlut.utexas.edu> wrote:

> > I'm running Python 1.5.2 on a Linux 2.0.36 kernel (RedHat 5.1 distro
> > partly upgraded to v5.2) and have recently experienced malfunctioning
> > and/or non-working python applications -- specifically:
>
> Just to make sure....
>
> Are you sure you're invoking the right Python?  Red Hat comes with
> Python, and if your created a separate installation in /usr/local or
> something, then you need to make sure that all of your scripts are
> invoking the 1.5.2 interpreter and not the one that came with
> Red Hat 5.x.

I used the --prefix=/usr opetion when I configured Python and the previous
version is not present anymore anyway.  Also, the "make check" passed when
I installed the latest version and I don't experience other peculiarities
with Python than the three mentioned -- which may, and may not, be related.

> If you want to blow away Red Hat's Python, you can get the
> Python RPMs that Oliver Andrich put together.  They're at
> http://andrich.net/python/

Considering that Preston is able to reproduce the Kernel Oops using the
same kernel and python version as I do, I belive it's something deeper
than the python installation.  But thanks anyway, I'll take a look at the
URL. :-)

  //Klaus

--