Python 1.5.2 + Linux 2.0.36 == Bad Combo?

Thomas Bryan tbryan at arlut.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 16 09:21:26 EDT 1999

Klaus Alexander Seistrup wrote:

>   G'day mates,
>
> I'm running Python 1.5.2 on a Linux 2.0.36 kernel (RedHat 5.1 distro partly
> upgraded to v5.2) and have recently experienced malfunctioning and/or non-
> working python applications -- specifically:

Just to make sure....

Are you sure you're invoking the right Python?  Red Hat comes with
Python, and if your created a separate installation in /usr/local or
something, then you need to make sure that all of your scripts are
invoking the 1.5.2 interpreter and not the one that came with
Red Hat 5.x.

If you want to blow away Red Hat's Python, you can get the
Python RPMs that Oliver Andrich put together.  They're at
http://andrich.net/python/