Python 1.5.2 + Linux 2.0.36 == Bad Combo?

Neel Krishnaswami neelk at brick.cswv.com
Sat Jul 17 10:09:05 EDT 1999

In article <slrn7ou0ru.3sp.kas at titan.magnetic-ink.dk>,
Klaus Alexander Seistrup <kas at maps.magnetic-ink.dk> wrote:

>  *  DejaGrabber
>     -- The program connects without problem but seems to only retrieve
>     headers, not the full articles.
>     Haven't contacted the author yet.

I wrote DejaGrabber, and when I looked at the documentation, I think
you might have been bitten by a bug in DejaGrabber's documentation
rather than a bug in your system.

To look at an article, you need to use the Article.message_text()
method -- the __str__ method simply returns the header.

The corrected version of the example in the docstring should look
like this:

  >>> from DejaGrabber import *
  >>> d = DejaGrabber(group='comp.lang.python', author='Tim Peters')
  >>> l = d.get_messages(4)
  >>> print l
  [99/06/23  30 comp.lang.python          RE: Python Exes!      Tim Peters
  , 99/06/18  28 comp.lang.python RE: Newbie: Truth values (th      Tim Peters
  , 99/06/18  28 comp.lang.python       RE: DATE ARITHMETIC      Tim Peters
  , 99/06/18  28 comp.lang.python     RE: NameError Problem      Tim Peters
  , 99/05/18  25 comp.lang.python     RE: while (a=b()) ...      Tim Peters
  ]
  >>> print l[0].message_test()
  [SunitJoshi]
  > Could someone please point me to the URL where Gordon Mcmillians,
  > installer is located.

  Start at

      http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/python.html

  would-be-more-specific-but-the-server-appears-to-be-resting-ly y'rs  - tim

Before, I had "print l[0]" -- this would invoke the __str__ method,
which would just print out the header.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience. Also, I've written a
command-line driver for DejaGrabber, which might be more useful. It has
the very clever name "newssearch.py", and you can get it at:

    www.sff.net/people/neelk/free-software/newssearch.py

Neel