Python GUIs: Summary and Conclusion

Mikael Lyngvig mikael at toolwood.com
Thu Jul 1 23:28:45 EDT 1999

On Thu, 01 Jul 1999 20:13:59 GMT, "Michael P. Reilly"
<arcege at shore.net> wrote:

>Been there, done that.  My pyirc client (alpha release) was designed
>for just about any user-interface, and comes with three: dummy (no
>input or output, just batch-mode)), curses and Tkinter.  You just can't
>switch between them at runtime, ;)  I've done it for other apps too.

Well, the only reason I haven't been there is that I've only worked on
one GUI app _ever_ - a 2D tile-based strategy game [1].  I did plan
support for console apps (curses, etc., using a client-server
architecture), but I didn't much fancy the idea of playing with a
command line interface :)

Anyway, it could be fun to have wxBatch and wxConsole variants of
wxWindows.  wxBatch would then, supposedly, map a wxCheckBox into a
boolean option, a wxTextCtrl into a file name or a string option, and
so on.  (I don't have any good ideas for wxPostScriptDC and
wxLayoutConstraints, though).  wxConsole should be fairly trivial,
except for the pixel-fiddling parts.

Now, there's a task!

[1] Which I expect to change in the future, which is why I'm reviewing
portable GUIs (I don't do non-portable stuff, if there's anything I
can do to avoid it).

-- Mikael