Python GUIs: Summary and Conclusion

Michael P. Reilly Michael.P..Reilly at p98.f112.n480.z2.fidonet.org
Thu Jul 1 16:13:59 EDT 1999

From: "Michael P. Reilly" <arcege at shore.net>

Mikael Lyngvig <mikael at pobox.com> wrote:
: On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 09:27:57 +0200, Gerrit Holl
: <gerrit.holl at pobox.com> wrote:

:>I think one could also make an application "multiple-interface". The user can
:>choose: svgalib (any support in python, by the way?), curses, commandline,
:>tk, qt/kde or some of the other stuff. The developer can put the interface
:>in a seperate class or even in a seperate module (I'll do with my discoverb
:>project (see signature)), so the user can exactly download what he want. I
:>believe KDE users would like KDE applications...

: I think that would be a good idea, but I don't think it is directly
: related to the issue at hand.  Such an API would certainly be slower
: than the actual implentation and the problem is, IMHO, that the actual
: implementation (of Tk) is too slow to be really interesting.

: As a matter of fact, I've always wished that I could make my apps so
: they took an option, say -ui:name, what would allow the user to
: specify which kind of user interface it had:

:    bui - batch user interface; Unix style command-line interface.
:    cui - console user interface; Unix curses interface.
:    gui - graphical user interface; X/Windows style interface.

: That way the user could use the application in any way he/she like,
: without having to resort to Win32 COM (automation server) APIs etc.

Been there, done that.  My pyirc client (alpha release) was designed
for just about any user-interface, and comes with three: dummy (no
input or output, just batch-mode)), curses and Tkinter.  You just can't
switch between them at runtime, ;)  I've done it for other apps too.

  -Arcege