Problems using omniNames of omniORB2 from Fnorb Python ORB

Gary Duzan gduzan at gte.com
Thu Jul 15 10:21:33 EDT 1999

"D. Lopez-De-Ipina" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First of all, apologies if you think this is not the forum to make
> questions about Fnorb, but I have posted my question into the Fnorb
> mailing list and I have not received any answer yet.

   There may be a problem with the list; I'm on it and I don't
recall seeing your message.

> [ ... ]
>
> It turned out that the examples seemed to work perfectly as it was the
> case of my application, but if I left the server process running for a
> while (1-2 minutes) after a while crashed and 'said' the following:
>
> [ ... ]
>
>   File "/home/dl231/python/Fnorb/orb/GIOPClientWorkerReactive.py", line
> 216, in
> close_connection
>     raise CORBA.TRANSIENT()
> Fnorb.orb.CORBA.TRANSIENT: Minor: 0 Completed: COMPLETED_NO
>
> Please if anyboy has managed to interoperate omniORB objects with Fnorb
> ones in a safe way, could they please let me know and please explain
> what is going wrong? Any workaround for it?

   This is due to OmniORB's connection shutdown policy. After a
connection has been idle for a couple minutes (by default) it will
close the IIOP connection, which Fnorb sees as a CORBA.TRANSIENT
exception. It should be harmless, so you can to do something simple
like:

        while 1:
            try:
                boa._fnorb_mainloop()