Problems using omniNames of omniORB2 from Fnorb Python ORB

D. Lopez-De-Ipina dl231 at eng.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 15 06:26:33 EDT 1999

Hi,

First of all, apologies if you think this is not the forum to make
questions about Fnorb, but I have posted my question into the Fnorb
mailing list and I have not received any answer yet.

I have been trying to make an application that I have written using
Python with the CORBA ORB Fnorb, to register itself in the omniORB
omniNames Naming Service. As I experimented some problems and thinking
that perhaps there were problems in my code I just went to the simple
demo examples for the Naming Service usage provided in the Fnorb
Distribution at:

.. /Fnorb/examples/naming/(server.py | client.py)

I included in my .bash_profile the following environment variable
neccessary to make these example programs use the omniORB omniNames
Naming Service instead of the default Fnorb one:

export FNORB_NAMING_SERVICE=IOR:0184014... --> the IOR of the omniORB
Naming Service(omniNames)

It turned out that the examples seemed to work perfectly as it was the
case of my application, but if I left the server process running for a
while (1-2 minutes) after a while crashed and 'said' the following:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "python/Fnorb/examples/naming/server.py", line 161, in ?
    sys.exit(main(sys.argv))
  File "python/Fnorb/examples/naming/server.py", line 153, in main
    boa._fnorb_mainloop()
  File "/home/dl231/python/Fnorb/orb/BOA.py", line 260, in
_fnorb_mainloop
    protocol.start(timeout)
  File "/home/dl231/python/Fnorb/orb/IIOPProtocol.py", line 74, in start

    self.__reactor.start_event_loop(timeout)
  File "/home/dl231/python/Fnorb/orb/SelectReactor.py", line 143, in
start_event
_loop
    self.do_one_event(timeout)
  File "/home/dl231/python/Fnorb/orb/SelectReactor.py", line 184, in
do_one_even
    handler.handle_event(Reactor.READ)
  File "/home/dl231/python/Fnorb/orb/GIOPClientWorkerReactive.py", line
229, in
handle_event
    self.__handler.recv()
  File "/home/dl231/python/Fnorb/orb/GIOPConnectionHandler.py", line
188, in rec
    self.__listener.message_received(OctetStream.GIOPMessage(data))
  File "/home/dl231/python/Fnorb/orb/GIOPClientWorkerReactive.py", line
277, in
message_received
    self._message_received(message)
  File "/home/dl231/python/Fnorb/orb/GIOPClientWorker.py", line 187, in
_message
_received
    self.close_connection()
  File "/home/dl231/python/Fnorb/orb/GIOPClientWorkerReactive.py", line
216, in
close_connection
    raise CORBA.TRANSIENT()
Fnorb.orb.CORBA.TRANSIENT: Minor: 0 Completed: COMPLETED_NO

Please if anyboy has managed to interoperate omniORB objects with Fnorb
ones in a safe way, could they please let me know and please explain
what is going wrong? Any workaround for it?

It might be a Fnorb bug.

Thanks,

Diego