Problem Compiling Python on OpenBSD.

Crass A. Hole petro at bounty.org
Mon Dec 27 11:53:51 EST 1999

I am trying to compile and install Python 1.5.2 from source on an
OpenBSD 2.5 (uname -a= "OpenBSD loki.mysoapbox.org 2.5 GENERIC#243
i386") machine.

I have installed GCC 2.95.1 and am using that as the compiler.

Most of the peices parts compile just fine, but longs of things break
if I try to compile the modules as shared (which is ok, I just compile
them statically), and the big problem is that the socketmodule fails on
"make test". It gives me a:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "./Lib/test/test_socket.py", line 72, in ?
    hname, aliases, ipaddrs = socket.gethostbyaddr(ip)
socket.error: host not found

when I do a ./python ./Lib/test/test_socketmodule.py

This is most troublesome, since one of the reasons I am installing
python is to use mailman, and in it's ./configure script, it seems to
want socketmodule to work properly...

Do I also need to install the newest glibc in order for things to work
properly, or is glibc just a Linux thing (most of my "Unix" experience
is on Linux, with some Solaris. I've just got this one BSD box for
variety and security).

Is the problem with OpenBSD, or GCC? I know it isn't Python, since in
builds fine on Solaris and Linux.