Problem Compiling Python on OpenBSD.

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Dec 27 12:22:20 EST 1999

Crass A. Hole <petro at bounty.org> wrote:
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "./Lib/test/test_socket.py", line 72, in ?
>     hname, aliases, ipaddrs = socket.gethostbyaddr(ip)
> socket.error: host not found
>
> when I do a ./python ./Lib/test/test_socketmodule.py
>
> This is most troublesome, since one of the reasons I am installing
> python is to use mailman, and in it's ./configure script, it seems to
> want socketmodule to work properly...

it's more likely that there's a configuration pro-
blem; the most obvious way to get that error is
if "gethostbyname" returns an IP address that
"gethostbyaddr" cannot map back to a name...

if this doesn't make sense to you, just go ahead
and install mailman.  python probably works just
fine on your box.

</F>