[Python-Dev] Python 2.7 -- bugfix or security before EOL?

Michael Scott Cuthbert cuthbert at mit.edu
Wed Mar 14 09:16:55 EDT 2018

> it still is in the time period before
> EOL that other recent versions have gone to security only.

Again, not relevant.

You might want to read http://python3statement.org/.<http://python3statement.org/>

I’m guessing my first message was unclear or able to be misunderstood in some part — I’m one of the frequent contributors to python3statement.org<http://python3statement.org> and have moved my own Python projects to Py3 only (the main one, music21, gets its 3.4+-only release this Saturday).  I have NO desire to prolong the 2.7 pain.

What I am referring to is the number of “needs backport to 2.7” tags for non-security-related bug-fixes in the issue tracker. (https://github.com/python/cpython/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22needs+backport+to+2.7%22<https://github.com/python/cpython/pulls?q=is:pr+is:open+label:"needs+backport+to+2.7">) My question was between now and 1 Jan 2020 should we still be fixing things in 2.7 that we’re not fixing in 3.5, or leave 2.7 in a security-only mode for the next 21 months?  Looking at what has been closed recently, without getting a bpo for actually backporting, it appears that we’re sort of doing this in practice anyhow.

Thanks! and even if my message was read differently than I intended, glad that it had a good effect.

Michael Cuthbert (https://music21-mit.blogspot.com)