[Python-Dev] PEP 481 - Migrate Some Supporting Repositories to Git and Github

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon Dec 1 02:44:02 CET 2014

> On Nov 30, 2014, at 8:41 PM, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 6:25 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>> The technical benefits mostly come from Github generally being a higher
>> quality product than it’s competitors, both FOSS and not.
>
> Here's a solution to allow contribution via PR while not requiring
> anything to switch VCS or hosting:
>
> 1. Set up mirrors of a desired repo on any hosting providers we choose.
> 2. Set up a webhook for PRs that automatically creates/re-uses a
> tracker ticket with the diff from the PR.
>
> The workflow does not change for the committer, but it gets easier to
> contribute.
>
> I did something like this for juju (https://github.com/juju/juju) when
> we switched to github, weren't satisfied with their code review tool,
> and switched to something else.  We have a web hook that automatically
> creates a review request for new PRs and updates the review request
> when the PR gets updated.
>
> -eric

Yea this is essentially what I meant. We already have “unofficial” mirrors
for PEPs and CPython itself on Github that are updated a few times a day.
It wouldn’t be very difficult I think to make them official mirrors and
update them immediately after a push.

Then just some integration with Roundup would enable people to send PRs
on Github.

---
Donald Stufft