[Python-Dev] PEP 481 - Migrate Some Supporting Repositories to Git and Github

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 02:41:58 CET 2014

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 6:25 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>The technical benefits mostly come from Github generally being a higher
> quality product than it’s competitors, both FOSS and not.

Here's a solution to allow contribution via PR while not requiring
anything to switch VCS or hosting:

1. Set up mirrors of a desired repo on any hosting providers we choose.
2. Set up a webhook for PRs that automatically creates/re-uses a
tracker ticket with the diff from the PR.

The workflow does not change for the committer, but it gets easier to
contribute.

I did something like this for juju (https://github.com/juju/juju) when
we switched to github, weren't satisfied with their code review tool,
and switched to something else.  We have a web hook that automatically
creates a review request for new PRs and updates the review request
when the PR gets updated.

-eric