[Python-Dev] pip enhancement

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Aug 27 15:46:01 CEST 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 8:24 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you mean something like "pip list --outdated"?

I was unaware of that command, as we were stuck at pip 1.2.1. I just
updated pip manually to 1.5.6. That is a very helpful command. It
would be even better if it understood --user so it could restrict it's
view to user-installed stuff.

Also, given that packages can be found in multiple places on a system, for me:

* the OpenSuSE system packages
* TWW-provided system-wide packages
* our own system-wide packages in /opt/local
* my private stuff in ~/.local

it would be great if there was a way for it to tell me where on my
system it found outdated package X. The --verbose flag tells me all
sorts of other stuff I'm not really interested in, but not the
installed location of the outdated package.

Skip