[Python-Dev] pip enhancement

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 15:36:13 CEST 2014

Wow, I didn't know that existed.  Maybe needs to be more obvious.

But not quite.  It doesn't distinguish between locally installed files, and
globally installed.  Here, globally installed are maintained by the OS
vendor packaging, while locally (user, not virtualenv) installed are
managed by pip.

Really what's needed is for pip --user to apply to all pip commands, and
tell pip to ignore the system stuff.

Running pip list --outdated runs a long time, and gives me a very long list
of packages that are outdated, leaving me to still sort through which are
--user (and I might want to update via pip) and which are global (and I
can't really do anything about, other than filing a bug report requesting
an update).

--
*Those who don't understand recursion are doomed to repeat it*