[Python-Dev] pip enhancement

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 15:57:57 CEST 2014

On 27 August 2014 14:46, Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
> it would be great if there was a way for it to tell me where on my
> system it found outdated package X. The --verbose flag tells me all
> sorts of other stuff I'm not really interested in, but not the
> installed location of the outdated package.

There's also packaged environments like conda. It would be nice if pip
could distinguish between conda-managed packages and ones I installed
myself.

Really, though, this is what the PEP 376 "INSTALLER" file was intended
for. As far as I know, though, it was never implemented (and you'd
also need to persuade the Linux vendors, the conda people, etc, to use
it as well if it were to be of any practical use).

Agreed about reporting the installed location, though. Specific
suggestions like this would be good things to add to the pip issue
tracker.

Paul