[Python-Dev] externals?

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Sun Nov 18 08:22:23 CET 2012

Am 17.11.2012 23:47, schrieb martin at v.loewis.de:

> Zitat von Kristján Valur Jónsson <kristjan at ccpgames.com>:
>
>> Thanks for your pro-tip.  Might I suggest that it ought to go into
>> the dev FAQ?  Along with an explanation that a windows dev has to
>> have SVN installed too, just for the laughs?
>> I think there might be a benefit to moving at least the current
>> externals to a separate HG repository.  We could easily have
>> multiple branches in that repo reflecting the required externals for
>> each version under active HG development).
>
> Feel free to work on this. Consider that using hg may significantly
> increase the amount of network traffic, since the repo(s) will contain
> multiple versions, when only one specific version is needed.
>
> When working on this, try to come up with other automated download
> procedures, e.g. ones that do not involve revision control and have
> support built into Windows.

One way would be to use one hg repo per version, and (maybe, if needed)
a master repo that has them as subrepos.  Whoever needs externals can
download the repo as a zipfile and unpack it (both of which is possible
with batteries only).

Note that in this scenario, hg is used mostly in order to avoid another
service (such as rsync), and for developer convenience.

Georg