[Python-Dev] Python as a Metro-style App

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Mon Jan 9 18:59:45 CET 2012

We spent some time investigating Python/Win8 projections but we don't really have anything else to say right now, but it is certainly possible.

I haven't been following this thread so maybe this was already discussed, but on the whole "new OS target" thing - if people want to write immersive apps in Python then there will need to be a new build of Python.  One thing that might make that easier is the fact that the C runtime is still available to metro apps, even if the C runtime calls a banned API.  So to the extent that Python is just a C program the "port" should be pretty easy and mostly involve disabling functionality that isn't available at all to metro apps.

I have packaged up Python 2.7 in an appx and run the application verifier on it (this was a while ago, so things may have changed between now and then), the attached banned.txt includes the list of APIs which Python is using that aren't allowed for the curious.

Also, people who write apps will need to distribute Python w/ their app, there's currently no sharing between apps.