[Python-Dev] Python as a Metro-style App

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 07:13:25 CET 2012

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Depending on the extent of removed/disabled functionality, it might not
> be very interesting to have a Metro port at all.

Win 8 is practically a new OS target - the nt module may need to be
replaced with a metro module to handle it well.

Accessing the WinRT APIs directly from Python will also require a set
of Python projections for the API, which should be straightforward to
generate from the WinRT metadata files. I know Dino Viehland did some
work on that; not sure if he can elaborate or not though.

Otherwise, IronPython would be the only option for writing Metro apps
in Python - not that I'd be *horribly* upset at that :). IronPython is
slowly growing Metro support, and it seems like most things will work,
but the .NET framework shields it from a lot of the WinRT guts.

- Jeff