[Python-Dev] Python as a Metro-style App

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jan 11 01:32:12 CET 2012

> I haven't been following this thread so maybe this was already
> discussed, but on the whole "new OS target" thing - if people want to
> write immersive apps in Python then there will need to be a new build
> of Python.  One thing that might make that easier is the fact that
> the C runtime is still available to metro apps, even if the C runtime
> calls a banned API.

Does that hold for all versions of the C runtime (i.e. is msvcr80.dll
also exempt from the ban, or just the version that comes with VS 11)?

> So to the extent that Python is just a C program
> the "port" should be pretty easy and mostly involve disabling
> functionality that isn't available at all to metro apps.

See the start of the thread: I tried to create a "WinRT Component DLL",
and that failed, as VS would refuse to compile any C file in such a
project. Not sure whether this is triggered by defining WINAPI_FAMILY=2,
or any other compiler setting.

I'd really love to use WINAPI_FAMILY=2, as compiler errors are much
easier to fix than verifier errors.

Regards,
Martin