[Python-Dev] Issues with Py3.1's new ipaddr

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Jun 3 14:37:00 CEST 2009

On Jun 2, 2009, at 10:39 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I hope we can learn from this.

One crazy thought: let's use the Cheeseshop.

When I search for 'ipaddr' I get three hits, with Google's module at
the top with a score of '8'.  I really don't know what that means but
I'm guessing it means that module is "two times better" than the next
highest score of 4 for ipaddresslib.

It would be really nice if say the Cheeseshop had a voting feature.
Use PEP 10 voting to get a rough estimate of a module's popularity
(download counts alone might not tell you everything).  Then at least
you can get a rough idea of how generally popular a module is in the
wider community.  Also, a module should have to live on its own two
feet for while on Cheeseshop before being considered for inclusion in
the stdlib.

-Barry